Tuesday 13 January 2009

Shufflin' #4

Why yes, I am out of things to meaningfully talk about, so I return to my habit of shuffling three songs on my iTunes and talking about them. Enjoy!

Franz Ferdinand - Eleanor Put Your Boots On
This probably the most understated and sedated song from Franz Ferdinand's underrated (unintentional rhyming overload!) second album, and also one of my favourites. Alex Kapranos' straining voice lilts over tripping piano and gently strummed guitar. I don't know what it reminds me of (quality music journalism there), but there's something almost nostalgic about this song.

The Streets - Your Song
I had a lot of trouble understanding who decided that Mike Skinner should cover this Elton John classic when I first heard it. It's immediately obvious why he approaches his lyrics in a spoken word style. He can't sing. At all. But for some reason, after a couple of listens it became apparent that that's almost why this song is so beautiful, it sounds like an everyman just making up a song for his love, it almost makes the message of the song more real.

The Cribs - Our Bovine Public
A definite difference in style here from the last two. This is an onslaught by the boys from Wakefield, an earthquake of guitar and drum action whilst Ryan Jarman explodes with vitriolic lyrics over the top. I'm not sure he breathes for this entire song. Simply awesome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so with you on "Eleanor Put Your Boots On", it's definitely one of my favorite Franz Ferdinand songs. To me, it feels like it would totally have fit on The Beatles' White Album - it has the same comforting, homey feeling as "Cry Baby Cry", or just the whole album, actually. Lovely choice. I think I need to get some Franz Ferdinand on my iPod soon, it's been too long since I listened to those guys - thanks for reminding me!

Hanan said...

I really like that Franz song too, but not as much as I loove The Fallen.

2plus2isjoe said...

Wow there's some serious Franz loving going on! What do you think of the new single?

Hanan said...

it's funny, I'm actually listening to the whole new record right now and loving it with each rotation

2plus2isjoe said...

Is it similar to Ulysses, all synth and dance driven?

Pie-Snatcher said...

I love "Eleanor Put Your Boots On." Very Beatlesque.