Tuesday 3 February 2009

Comedy Music. There, I Said It.

I have a confession to make. I really love comedy music. i know you're not supposed to, but I always have, and a good comedy song will always be on just as much rotation on my iPod as the best new tracks. Comedy music is a much-maligned genre, sneered at for its apparent lack of authenticity and artistry. But the best comic songs will always be those with the best musical backing and the most intelligent linguistic flair, and why is that any different to the greatest "serious" music? With that in mind, here's a little rundown of my personal favourites.

Weird Al Yankovic is the Godfather of the comedy song. He's been making it since the '70s, and whilst some of it misses the mark, he's made just as much that's just hilarious.

Weird Al Yankovic - The Saga Begins
Weird Al Yankovic - Bedrock Anthem

Tenacious D never fail to make me laugh. The ridiculously crude lyrics and their attention to detail in making some actually pretty amazing technical metal is brillaint, and their live show is truly something to behold.

Tenacious D - Master Exploder
Tenacious D - Rock Your Socks

Flight of the Conchords are relatively new on the comedy music scene, but they've already hit mainstream popularity and got themselves a Perrier nomination. They're constantly commended for the quality of their songwriting, and with good reason.

Flight of the Conchords - Inner City Pressure
Flight of the Conchords - Think About It

The Lonely Island created probably the funniest song of last year in their Timbaland-aping "Jizz In My Pants", but their collaboration with Justin Timberlake was just as amazing.

The Lonely Island - Jizz In My Pants
The Lonely Island - Dick In A Box

So there you have it, it might be immature, it might not be the height of art, but it's bloody funny, and sometimes that's all you need.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, what's the fucking point...

Anonymous said...

...of using You Send Shit? Do you want people to hear the music or not?

2plus2isjoe said...

It's the only free hosting service that works at my halls of residence, and I can't afford my own host. Wanna suggest some other services?

Anonymous said...

novelty music*