Thursday 5 February 2009

My God, The Reverb!

At some point I'll get round to making a controversial list of things that really aren't as good as people say they are. The reason I say this is because Animal Collective are, beneath the surface, just a bit rubbish, aren't they? I mean let's not kid ourselves, once you get past all the psychedelia that MGMT made cool again this year, and the reverb, the songs really don't add up to much*.

However, if you are looking for some reverb-drenched beauty look no further than New York's own Crystal Stilts. Now, using comparisions is usually rather vague and unhelpful, but I promise this sums them up: Imagine if Ian Curtis had grown up on a Californian beach, formed a band and they'd all gone to play in a wind tunnel. Honestly, it makes sense when you hear it. A throaty, upfront bass drives things along whilst faraway organs pipe and guitars strum away repetitively, whilst sing Brad Hargett drones his way all over it. It's nothing new, but it's still positively moody genius.

Crystal Stilts - Departure

*This is all opinion. Even if I am right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diversity of opinion is a great thing, but claiming that Animal Collective's songs don't add up to much? Crazy. Listen to the new record a few more times music-bloggy-type person. Then listen to Strawberry Jam and then Sung Tongs. Work your way back. They are one of the best, most consistent, baffling, barmy, brilliant, artists of the last decade.

Anyways, good call on the Crystal Stilts. Have you heard anything by The Magnetic Fields? If you liked the Crystal Stilts you'd like their last album "Distortion". And for something more recent you'd probably enjoy The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart's self titled debut.

2plus2isjoe said...

Perhaps "doesn't add up to much" was a bad choice of words. Believe me, I've listened to the album a lot, and it just doesn't get to me. As obviously musically gifted as they are, they just don't seem to craft... songs I suppose. It's quite hard to explain what I mean, but it just doesn't get under my skin.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'll definitely take a listen to them in due course :)