Friday 11 July 2008

The Beginning

Well here I am, my own little corner of the web, somewhere to force my opinions on anyone who cares to swing by. Just to outline, I know that there are countless reams of music blogs around the place, but I just want to throw my hat in and get all my kind of music in one place. So, how to begin? Well this is the first post, and in the most tenuous way, this is a marriage of the web with my taste in music, so lets spin that analogy out for as long as we can shall we?

Something Old


Just so you know, Radiohead are my favourite band, end of. They scale the dizzying heights of international stardom whilst never compromising on what they want to do, they challenge the listener without pissing them off, they create full albums rather than singles. No matter how much I might be told they're depressing, I usually feel happy when I listen to them. And so in the spirit of my unbridled love for them, here's the first song I'll put up:
Radiohead - Just [YSI]

Something New


Now, from my cursory viewing of the blogosphere, it would seem I'm a little late to jump on this particular bandwagon, but as new bands go, Mumford & Sons are one of the best I've ever heard. My girlfriend, being the kind and wonderful person she is, took me to see Laura Marling (who's also incredible) at St. James' Church, Piccadilly not so long ago. Some of Mumford & Sons are in her backing band, and they were invited to play their own stuff that night a few hours before the gig. I was absolutely blown away, Marcus Mumford's keening vocals are a joy to hear, especially as the whole band's glorious crescendos explode into life. They only released their debut EP a few days ago, and I suggest you go and listen to it all.
Mumford & Sons - White Blank Page [YSI]

Something Borrowed


Cover songs have got a lot more common recently, what with Live Lounge and Myspace Music. But it's rare that you find one that really equals or eclipses the original song. I think that this song falls nicely into that category though. I found it by randomly buying Q Magazine on a train journey that had a collection of "Mellow Summer Songs" this being among them. It's a cover of Thin Lizzy's "Dancing in the Moonlight" (no connection to Toploader) by Irish singer-songwriter David Kitt.
David Kitt - Dancing In The Moonlight [YSI]

Something Blue


Everyone seems to, and everyone should, know Seasick Steve by now. As far as modern bluesmen go, he makes the coolest, most lo-fi, brilliantly juddering tunes around. Plus the fact that he makes percussion by stomping on a box he calls the Mississippi Drum Machine will never tire.
Seasick Steve - Dog House Boogie [YSI]

So there you are, my first contribution to this swirling mass of mp3s and opinions. Don't forget that if you have a band that you think I might enjoy, or anything you'd like me to have a listen to, send it here and I'll take a listen for you. Bye!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe it's your old friend from Aus just been reading your blogs and will def take a look at some of da bands u mentioned in your reading round-ups. Also, was just wondering on what ur thoughts were on Aussie bands such as, Gyroscope's album Breed Obsession, Potbelleez new single Are You With Me, a classic Aussie band called The Screaming Jets single Better and The Presets 2 recent released singles Talk Like That and This Boy's In Love. Was good to see you give them a mention in 1 of ur earlier blogs. Anyways would be gd 2 hear ur views mate.