Monday 28 July 2008

Shufflin' #1

Well, I thought to create some semblance of professionalism in this, my own little corner of the big bad web, that I'd start a regular (and by regular I mean, 'I will do this again at some point') feature. And so this is it. Are you enjoying it yet? Basically, I'm going to put shuffle on my iTunes, and write about the first few songs that come up, maybe you'll get a small sense of my music taste, maybe you'll get some absolute arse. Who knows? It's Shufflin' Time! (*Copyrights*)

Beck - Hell Yes
Beck; everyone's favourite genre-hopping, hip-hopping, language-hopping musical maestro. This song, from his album Guero (also my first venture into his music, due to the success of E-Pro, I'm afraid to say) was one of my favourite tracks when I first bought it. I don't know what it is about it, it could be the odd robotic voice used throughout, or the sparseness of it all, using the bass as the driving force, but there's something so enchanting about the whole thing.

Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused
Ah the Led, sometimes they irritate me so much, their flamboyance, their wankery, but I don't think it's possible to get over their general genius at creating what they did, when they did. This song shows off so much of what makes them great and so much of what gets on my nerves all at the same time. On the plus side, it really shows off their blues roots, and Robert Plant's wails never sounded better than on a track like this. His opening lines are perfect. But the shifting styles do tend annoy, even if the guitar work is amazing towards the end, it does go on just a bit too long. But it's still an awesome piece of work.

Fatboy Slim - Weapon of Choice
This is easily my favourite Fatboy Slim track of all time. Slim was always a master of buildup, and this song makes it look so effortless. Each layer of sound works so perfectly, the faux-brass fanfares are executed so well, and with Bootsy Collin's deep vocals over it all, it's just a lovely listen. Plus, have you seen the video? It's got Christopher Walken flying in it! Bloody hell!

So there you are, a few songs from my library for you have a little gander at, nothing too obscure this time, but enjoyable nonetheless. Have fun!

No comments: