Monday 6 October 2008

Shufflin' #3


So here I am again, what sunken treasures or murky evils can I dredge from my sea of tunes?*

The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
The title track from
Jack White and Brendan Benson's mighty rock 'n' roll side project's second album sums them up wonderfully. Odd changes of tempo and style, blues influences, guitar wizardry, dual lead vocals and some seriously catchy elements make up one of the best tracks from the LP (it even has a lone bass part that sounds like "No One Knows" by QOTSA). I just can't get enough of these guys, they were amazing at Reading, both albums have been top quality, and they give me all that I want from proper rock. Keep it coming.

Razorlight - Up All Night
Razorlight - the fallen heroes of Noughties indie, and another title track. I can remember exactly just how much I loved "Rip It Up" for the first time, and just how much I liked this album after I bought it based on that single (which is always a risk, but when it pays off it's wonderful). This track isn't as immediately engaging as some of their other early songs, but it shows why they were exciting at the time - slow burning, drawled vocals that lead to a very Bloc Party-esque strike of screeching guitar and a big finish with a slow, winding comedown. why did they have to do anything else after this?

The Offspring - Original Prankster
Wow, this is delving even deeper into my young musical tastes. I know how many people hate them, and I know they're vacuous, artless nu-punk, but I still can't escape the fact that I get all nostalgic when I hear Dexter Holland's ever so slightly too-high vocals and nearly-screams. This song is the perfect example of their brand of music - brash, stupid and fun.

*That was a very laboured analogy, and for that I apologise.

No comments: