Saturday 13 September 2008

Shufflin' #2


There comes a time in every blogger's life when you have no inspiration whatsoever. And that's what the shuffle function was created for. Here's another three random cuts of my iTunes library for you to mull over.

Pull Tiger Tail - Mary Jane
As much as I loved their older stuff (see here for example), I never quite took to PTT's newer singles, before they fell apart due to label tyranny. This was their last (and possibly last ever) release, and sums up, for me, what went wrong for them. Unlike their earliest stuff, it just lacks the punch, the energy, that made them special. The vocals seem a little laboured, and everything seems a little Athlete-y in places (not to say I don't like Athlete, I think their first album was awesome, it just isn't right for PTT). That being said, this is an enjoyable song, just not their best work.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Wet Sand
Ah the Chilis. The first band I ever saw live. Of course, this wasn't actually released at the time, the whole Stadium Arcadium period was the beginning of my slight loss of faith in them (along with the colossal damp squib that was their 2007 Reading set). I mean, a double album? Really? Not only is it lazy, it's just too long and full of filler. However, I do like this song. Antony Kiedis' vocals start off all "Under The Bridge" and then grow with the music to a funky crescendo of an anthem ending, and John Frusciante's solos never fail to bring a warmth into my soul, remembering all those times I idolised them.

Friendly Fires - Photobooth
I know it's nothing new, and it's all been said before, but Friendly Fires really are brilliant aren't they? I haven't heard their album yet (annoyingly), but I just haven't heard a song they've done that I haven't liked yet. This early single is a prime example. Straddling the lines between pop, dance and indie effortlessly, it's just perfect. There are enough lyrics for it to interest me, but there's enough repetition and a prominent bass line to make it perfect for dancing to. Just amazing.

No comments: