Monday 15 September 2008

Time For Some Rhymes

Inspired by my little diatribe earlier, I felt like listening to some hip-hop. Sure, there's a whole heap of crap around at the moment but the genre also includes some of the best lyricists around. Here are some of my favourite tracks. Disclaimer - I'm White, Middle Class and English. I will sound like an idiot when talking about this. I probably already have done. I'm sorry.

Outkast - Roses
Now go on the raw sex, my AIDS test is flawless
Regardless, we don't want to get involved with no lawyers
And judges just to hold grudges in a courtroom
I wanna see your support bra not support you!

They're not inspired but they sure sound catchy in context.

CRS - Us Placers
Lifestyles of the broke and famous
Let you know how crazy this game is
Look at all the new beautiful faces
At home supermodel, Myspaces
Long for their shot on the TV screens
American Idol never seen these dreams
Just last week they want to see ID
Now they got you in VIP, huh?
How many people almost famous
You almost remember what they name is
Like “Hey, didn’t you play in..? No it couldn’t be, quit playin”
I try to keep that balance
After MTV that’s a Real World Challenge Back on that train
Never to be heard from again…

Now here's Kanye on form, along with Lupe Fiasco and Pharrell, this song from the Can't Tell Me Nothing mixtape is just awesome, not least because the background sample is from Thom Yorke's, "The Eraser".

N.W.A. - Express Yourself
I'm expressin' with my full capabilities,
And now I'm livin' in correctional facilities,
Cause some don't agree with how I do this.
I get straight, meditate like a Buddhist
I'm droppin' flavour, my behaviour is heriditary,
But my technique is very necessary.
Blame it on Ice Cube... because he says it gets funky
When you got a subject and a predacit.


My favourite opening lyrics from any hip-hop song, it's just all so well put together - the flow of the rhythm carries you thoughout, and every verse has another part to enjoy.

Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip - Development
I remember hearing Mos Def rhyme the alphabet
I just sat there in silence

As a sign of respect

I knew what I had to do

And that’s what happened next

I rhymed the periodic table
To stay one step ahead
Hydrogen is number one
'
Cause hydrogen is what puts the shine in the sun
Through nuclear fusion and when it’s done

It leaves element number two
Helium…
Helium is the second lightest gas that there is

So we use it in balloons we give to little kids

Then there’s lithium often used to treat mental problems

Beryllium don’t conduct electric currents, it stops them

Boron can be used to make things harden

And that smoke that’s coming out of your exhaust, carbon

Carbon is arguably the most important element

And nitrogen in the air is almost eighty percent

The rest of the air is mainly oxygen

And fluorine is the lightest of the halogens

OK that’s enough teaching
I ain’t trying to bore ya
I’m just trying to be a positive role model for ya

I'm sorry, I know that's a lot of words, but I just couldn't cut Mr. Pip's awesome lyrics. Nor could I resist putting more of his work up, I just love it, it's the best kind of hip-hop, intelligent music, lyrics with something to say and an altogether good feeling about it all.

No comments: